The Genesee County Bar Foundation exists to support worthy projects which improve the administration of justice, promote the study of law and the continuing education of lawyers, educate the public about its legal rights and obligations, and to maintain the honor and integrity of the profession.
1. What we fund
The Genesee County Bar Foundation makes grants in the county of Genesee. Consideration will be given to fund projects outside of Genesee County, but only by special invitation.
All prospective applicants should review the mission to ensure that the request fits our mission.
Written proposals are required on all funding requests.
Grant requests should not exceed more than $2,500 unless requested to do so by special invitation.
Faith based groups can apply if it serves a broad segment of the population.
2. What we do not fund
Grants for capitol development or endowments, debt reduction, annual appeals.
Grants for general operational expenses and land purchases.
No grants for religious activities or programs serving a specific religious group or denomination.
No grants that duplicate existing programs will be considered.
The board maintains the right to make exceptions as needed.
How to Apply
Requests for funding should be made through a written proposal. All requests should be submitted by the person responsible for signing grant contracts on behalf of the applicant. It should include enough information to allow the Foundation to determine the relevance of the project. The proposal should include:
- A brief description of the request
- The amount requested and a total accounting of income and expenses for the project, including other funding sources identified and amounts
- Other affiliations connected to the project and their roles
- Why the money is needed, the time frame the money is needed and will be spent
- A timetable for implementation
- A plan to evaluate the results
- A follow up report
- A list of all names, titles for staff involved with implementing the program and key qualifications
- A copy of the organizations non-discrimination policy
- An explanation as to how the request fits the Foundation's mission
- Additional information may be requested.
When to apply
Proposals should be submitted to the Foundation at least four months before the start of the proposed grant period. Applications are accepted year-round.
Where to apply
Please send two copies of your proposal to:
Genesee County Bar Foundation
315 E. Court St.
Flint, MI 48502
Please, no fax or email proposals.
The Board of Trustees makes all funding decisions. Applicants will be officially notified of the grant outcome by letter. Additional information may be requested from the applicant organization.
Questions about funding guidelines or information can be directed to the Foundation's Executive Director who can be reached at (810) 232-6000.